On Saturday, November 9th, the Utah Chapter held its first Fall Social. The goals were to reach out to our constituents, socialize, and to discuss the Chapter's environmental priorities. The latter was facilitated by the creation of 4 large posters designed to allow for 'voting' by the attendees (seen above). Over forty people took that opportunity whilst sampling the light fare and beverages.
Chapter Chair, Dan Mayhew, and Our Wild America representative Tim Wagner spoke of the challenges ahead and the need to set priorities in the face of limited resources. We were also fortunate in that State Representative Rebecca Chavez-Houck attended. She eloquently highlighted the battles progressives and environmentalists face on the Hill.
Are you interested in how the policy straw poll voting went? Here are the top vote getters:
- Stop Utah Oil Shale and Tar Sands Extraction
- Support Renewable and Sustainable Energy Solutions
- Halt Salt Lake Oil Refinery Expansion
- Cancel West Davis Freeway—Support Smart Transportation
- And, all three items under Water Preservation...
- Stop the Lake Powell-St. George Pipeline
- Prevent the West Desert Water Rights Grab
- Protect Water From the Effects of Fossil Fuel Extraction
The event was a big success and we may well do this on a quarterly basis!